Samuel Robert Hazo (born 1966) is an American composer of primarily music for concert band.
Samuel R. Hazo resides in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with his wife and children. In 2003, Mr. Hazo became the first composer in history to be awarded the winner of both composition contests sponsored by the National Band Association. He has composed for the professional, university and public school levels in addition to writing original scores for television, radio and the stage. His original symphonic compositions include performances with actors Brooke Shields, James Earl Jones, David Conrad and Richard Kiley. He has also written symphonic arrangements for three-time Grammy Award winning singer/songwriter Lucinda Williams. Mr. Hazo’s compositions have been performed and recorded worldwide, including performances by the Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra (national tour), the Birmingham Symphonic Winds (UK) and the Klavier Wind Project’s recordings with Eugene Migliaro Corporon. Additionally, his music is included in the series "Teaching Music Through Performance in Band." Mr. Hazo's works have been premiered and performed at the Music Educators’ National Conference, Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, World Association for Symphonic Bands and Ensembles Convention, National Honor Band of America, National Band Association/TBA Convention, College Band Directors’ National Association Convention and also aired in full-length programs on National Public Radio. He has served as composer-in-residence at Craig Kirchhoff’s University of Minnesota Conducting Symposium and has also lectured on music and music education at universities and high schools internationally. In 2004, Mr. Hazo's compositions were listed in a published national survey of the "Top Twenty Compositions of All Time" for wind band.
Mr. Hazo has been a music teacher at every educational grade level from kindergarten through college, including tenure as a high school and university director. Mr. Hazo was twice named “Teacher of Distinction” by the southwestern Pennsylvania Teachers’ Excellence Foundation. He received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Duquesne University where he served on the Board of Governors and was awarded as Duquesne’s Outstanding Graduate in Music Education. Mr. Hazo serves as a guest conductor and is a clinician for Hal Leonard Corporation. He is also sponsored by Sibelius Music Software. Recordings of his compositions appear on Klavier Records and Mark Records.
He has been asked by the Virginia Tech Wind Ensemble to write a memorial piece for the recent Virginia Tech shooting. Hazo gave it to VA Tech as a gift. It is titled Bridges and is published by Hal Leonard Corporation.
The 2008-2009 school years, Hazo is slated to conduct the All-State Bands of Indiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oregon, Kentucky, Maryland and Georgia.
Partial list of composed works
- Perthshire Majesty— winner of the 2003 NBA William D. Rivelli Memorial Composition Contest
- Rush (Noted in the score by Hazo to be Ride Part II)
- Fantasy on a Japanese Folk Song
- Diamond Fanfare
- Novo Lenio
- In Heaven's Air
- Sky is Waiting
- Ascend (Movement III of Georgian Suite)
- Today is the Gift
- Three Minnesota Portraits: (Commissioned by the Edina High School Concert Band)
- Movement One: Hennepin County Dawn (Shrouds of Snow)
- Movement Two: Rest
- Movement Three: Across the Halfpipe
- Chorus Angelorum (Commissioned by Hereford High School in memory of Joey and Audrey Baseman)
- Southern Hymn (Commissioned by Providence High School Wind Ensemble, Charlotte, NC in memory of Neil Rasmussen)
- Bridges (Commissioned by Virginia Tech in memory of the victims of the Virginia Tech Massacre in 2007)
- Their Blossoms Down
- Voices of the Sky
- Sòlas Ané (Yesterday's Joy)
- Arabesque (Commissioned by the Indiana Bandmasters' Association for the 2008 All-State Honor Band)
- Psalm 42
- Our Kingsland Spring
- Our Yesterdays Lengthen Like Shadows (Commissioned by the South Carolina Band Director's Association for the 2008 All-State Honor Band)
- The Quest
- As Winds Dance
- Each Time You Tell Their Story
- Keltic Variations
- Rivers (Movement II of Georgian Suite)
- In Flight
- Our Kingsland Spring (Movement I of Georgian Suite)
- Rising Star
- Three Concert Fanfares
- Whisper to Their Souls (based on Greensleeves)
- Autumn on White Lake (Hazo's most recent piece, premiered December 14, 2008 by Lakeland High School Wind Ensemble by whom the piece was commissioned. Publishing date has not been determined.)
- Themes from "Handel's Water Music"
- Themes from Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusick"
- Síoraí September (Commissioned by the Notre Dame Concert Band, to be premiered May 11, 2010 at Carnegie Hall)