Johan Halvorsen15 mar 1864 (Drammen) - 4 dec 1935 (Oslo)
Johan Halvorsen (15 March 1864 – 4 December 1935) was a Norwegian composer, conductor and violinist.
Born in Drammen, Norway he was an accomplished violinist from a very early age and became a prominent figure in Norwegian musical life. He received his musical education in Kristiania (now Oslo) and Stockholm, and was a concertmaster in Bergen before joining the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. He was a concertmaster in Aberdeen, Scotland, then a professor of music in Helsinki, and finally became a student once again, in St Petersburg, Leipzig (with Adolph Brodsky), Berlin (with Adolf Becker), and Liège (with César Thomson).
Returning to Norway in 1893, he worked as conductor of the theatre orchestra at Den Nationale Scene in Bergen and of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra. He became concertmaster of the Bergen Philharmonic in 1885, and principal conductor in 1893. In 1899 he was appointed conductor of the orchestra at the newly-opened National Theatre in Kristiania, a position he held for 30 years until his retirement in 1929.
As well as theatre music, Halvorsen conducted performances of over 30 operas and also wrote the incidental music for more than 30 plays. Following his retirement from the theatre he finally had time to concentrate on the composition of his three great symphonies and two well-known Norwegian rhapsodies.
Halvorsen's compositions were a development of the national romantic tradition exemplified by Edvard Grieg though written in a distinctive style marked by brilliant orchestration. Halvorsen married Grieg's niece, and orchestrated some of his piano works, such as a funeral march which was played at Grieg's funeral.
His best known works today are the Bojarenes inntogsmarsj (Entry March of the Boyars) and Bergensiana, along with his Passacaglia and Sarabande, duos for violin and viola based on themes by George Frideric Handel.
- Incidental music
- Bojarenes inntogsmarsj (Entry March of the Boyars) for orchestra (or concert band) (1895)
- Festovertyre (Norwegian Festival Overture), Op. 16 (1899)
- Nächtlicher Zug from Miniatures for string orchestra, Op. 29 No. 2 (1910); arrangement by the composer
- Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson in Memoriam, Op. 30 (1910)
- Norway's Greeting to Theodore Roosevelt, Op. 31 (1910)
- Suite ancienne to the Memory of Ludvig Holberg, Op. 31 (1911)
- Festmarsj (Festival March). Op. 32
- Scène funèbre
- Sérénade, Op. 33 (1913)
- Bergensiana, Rococo Variations on an Old Melody from Bergen "Jeg tog min nystemte Cithar i Hænde" (I Took Up My Newly Tuned Zither) (1913)
- Norske rapsodie No. 1 (Norwegian Rhapsody No. 1) in A major (1919–1920)
- I went so lately to my bed
- Halling - Springar
- Norske rapsodie No. 2 (Norwegian Rhapsody No. 2) in G major (1919–1920)
- Dance tune from Åmot
- Han Ole
- Symphony No. 1 in C minor (1923)
- Symphony No. 2 "Fatum" in D minor (1924, revised 1928)
- Symphony No. 3 in C major (1929)
- Norske eventyrbylleder (Norwegian Fairy-tale Pictures), Op. 37 (1933); reworking of 1925 incidental music
- Peik, prinsessen og stortrollet (Peik, the Princess and the Big Troll)
- Prinsessen kommer ridende på bjørnen (The Princess Comes Riding on a Bear)
- Trollenes inntog i berget det blå (Entry of the Trolls into the Town Hall)
- Dans av småtroll (Dance of the Little Trolls)
- Festovertyre (Norwegian Festival Overture), Op. 38
- Elegi for string orchestra
- Forspill til den hvite Ring
- Rabnabryllaup uti Kraakjalund, Norwegian Folk-Song Arrangement for string orchestra
- Concert band
- Hallingdal Bataljon's Marsj (1882–1883)
- Gatemarsj (Street March)
- Norwegian Sea Picture
- Salutation to the Royal Couple of Norway
- Air norvégien (Norwegian Air) for violin and orchestra, Op. 7 (1896/1903).
- Veslemøy's Song for violin and orchestra (1898); dedicated to Kathleen Parlow
- Norwegian Song "The Old Fisherman's Song" for violin and string orchestra, Op. 31 (1901, 1913)
- Andante Religioso for violin and orchestra (1903)
- Concerto in G major for violin and orchestra (1909)
- Bryllupsmarsch, Norwegian Wedding March for violin and orchestra, Op. 32 No. 1
- Danses norvégiennes No. 1 for violin and orchestra (1915)
- Danses norvégiennes No. 2 for violin and orchestra (1915)
- Chamber music
- 6 Stimmungsbilder (6 Mood Pieces) for violin and piano (1890)
- Suite in G minor for violin and piano (1890)
- Danses norvégiennes for violin and piano (1897)
- Elegie (Andante) for violin and piano (1897)
- Passacaglia in G minor on a Theme by George Frideric Handel (from Harpsichord Suite in G minor, HWV 432) for violin and viola (1897)
- Sarabande con Variazioni in G minor on a Theme by George Frideric Handel for violin and viola (1897)
- Crépuscule for violin and piano (c. 1898)
- Suite Mosaïque for violin and piano (1898)
- Intermezzo orientale
- Scherzino – "Spurven" (The Sparrow)
- Veslemøys sang (Veslemøy's Song)
- Fête nuptial rustique (An Old-fashioned Wedding)
- String Quartet in E, Op. 10
- Little Dance Suite for violin and piano, Op. 22
- Slåtter, Peasant Dances for violin solo (1903)
- Miniatures, 5 Easy Pieces for 2 violins and piano, Op. 29 (1910)
- To serenader (Two Serenades) for violin and piano
- Norske viser og danse (Norwegian Folk Songs and Dances), 30 Folk Arrangements for violin and piano
- Concert Caprice on Norwegian Melodies for 2 violins
- Varde, Cantata for male chorus and orchestra, Op. 11 (1904); words by Per Sivle
- Alrune for soprano solo, female chorus and chamber orchestra, Op. 20 No. 1
- Kantate ved kroningen i Trondhjems Domkirke den 22 juni 1906 for soprano, baritone, mixed chorus, orchestra, harp and organ, Op. 27 (1906); words by Sigvald Skavlan
- Bergensiana for mixed chorus
This article is licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the
Wikipedia article "Johan Halvorsen. Allthough most Wikipedia articles provide accurate information accuracy can not be guaranteed.
Our dream: to make the world's treasury of classical music accessible for everyone.
Help us with donations or by making music available!
Looking for classical mp3 downloads? We index the free-to-download classical mp3s on the internet.
©2016 Classic Cat - the classical mp3 and video directory. All rights reserved.